Potato salad is a side dish that is made mainly from boiled potatoes. It also contains other ingredients which vary depending on an individual’s choice. Potato salad recipe is one of those recipes that are easy to put together.
There are many types of potatoes and not all of them are suitable for making potato salad because not all can maintain the shape after their boiling. This is definitely the best potato salad recipe as it makes use of white potatoes which have a thinner skin and are very easy to peel after boiling. White potatoes are a little creamier, a little sweet and hold their shape well after cooking.
This delicious potato salad recipe can be made for potlucks and picnics. It is an easy potato salad recipe that takes a maximum of 30 minutes to put together. Potato salad is one of those salads that goes well with all sorts of dishes like barbecue, grilled ham steak, roasted chicken, smoked salmon, grilled fish and even fish sticks.
Here is a step by step method of how to prepare potato salad from the scratch. The ingredients of potato salad are:
6 medium sized potatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 3 celery stalks, chopped finely
- 1 medium sized onion, minced
- 4 hard cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- Paprika (optional)
Method of preparation:
- Cover the potatoes with enough water in a large pot. Add salt and cover to boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes until the potato is tender
- Drain away any water left after boiling, let the potato cool then peel and chop into cubes
- In a plastic bowl, mix mayonnaise, cider vinegar, yellow mustard and black pepper together
- Add the potatoes. Then add celery, onion, pickles and eggs and stir gently
- Sprinkle paprika on top (if used)
- Serve potato salad chilled or at room temperature
- Store covered in refrigerator
These are some tips on how to make this perfect potato salad recipe:
- Avoid using starchy potatoes, instead use a waxy one. Starchy potatoes come out looking mashed after cooking
- Add potatoes to cold water before bringing them to a boil. Doing this avoids the possibility of overcooking potatoes on the outside, while they still remain undercooked on the inside
- Adding salt to the boiling water is important. This ensures the potato absorbs the salt whole it is boiling and it gives the boiled potatoes its much needed flavour
- The key to adding the vinegar to the potatoes is to do it while they are still warm. This ensures they soak up some of it and become a lot more flavourful
- Adding celery and diced pickles makes the salad taste better
This recipe has a preparation time of 10 minutes, a cook time of 20 minutes and it yields 8 servings.
Nutritional fact per serving: 321 calories, 4g protein, 21g fat, 29g carbohydrate, 634 mg sodium, 581mg potassium, 10 mg cholesterol, 6g sugar.
This tasty potato salad recipe is a storehouse of vitamins, minerals and essential compounds. Potato its major ingredient has nutritional components that go far beyond carbohydrates and calories. It is rich in potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, vitamins A, B, P and large amounts of vitamin C scurvy which helps to treat scurvy and reduce inflammation. It is also one of the best natural sources of starch and are more energy-packed than any other vegetable. It also contains a considerable amount of fiber which helps to facilitate digestion.
This yummy potato salad recipe also contains paprika an antioxidant rich spice that helps diseases. Paprika is rich in essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, potassium, magnesium, carotenoid and iron. These vitamins and minerals are useful for eye health, heart health, skin health, inflammatory diseases, blood pressure, it promotes healthy sleep, aids in digestion and helpful in the formation of red blood cells.
The sweet pickles used which contains different fruits and vegetables, cures muscular cramps, eases nausea, are filled with helpful antioxidants and can help fight spleen cancer.
In conclusion, this potato salad recipe is not only packed full of vitamins and minerals which boost the health but it is also juicy, tasty and delicious. It is also easy to learn, quick to cook and can be used as a perfect side dish for different main course.